Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pinterest Inspired: Scarf Rack

So today I was doing a little organizing in my closet.  I'm always doing a little reorganizing in my closet.  It's a decent sized walk-in closet, and frankly until I pay to get some nice organizing system in there (Rubbermaid, Closet Maid, Elfa, etc.), I am always going to be reorganizing.  I'm just never happy with what I do in there.  

It's a room full of clutter... and I hate clutter.  This is the room where everything accumulates... the Easter stash;  the Christmas stash;  vacuum;  Amazon boxes waiting to be opened;  etc.

I bought a couple of dressers at a yard sale recently (Ikea brand) and wanted to pop them in the closet, so I was really moving things around.... i.e. tools were involved (ripping out builder-installed generic wire shelves), baskets were tossed around, clothes were displaced, and shoes and scarves were all over the place.

As I walked into the garage to grab a pair of pliers (have you ripped out those little wire-shelf brackets lately.... geesh, what a serious pain!), I happened to glance over at a wooden curtain rod in the corner.  Poor little thing had been sitting there since last summer, when it unsuccessfully tried to be purchased at our yard sale for just $5.  I can't believe no one wanted it.  Well, I suppose the odds were low.  When you live in the country out a dirt road, your yard sale traffic is greatly diminished, despite the advertising.  

I stopped and stared at the rod.  And then it hit me.  I'd been searching for towel rods to attach to my closet door to hold scarves (thank you, Pinterest, for the idea!)... and here was the perfect substitute,... and it was already here (read:  FREE).

So, I attached it under the window in my closet (which is on a wall I don't want to really put shelves on.)

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.  We have a winner!!!!



I barely fit my scarves on the 36" wide rod.  Yikes!  I guess if I get any more, I'll need to get rid of something.

On another note, here's a before and after of the one wall in my closet.  This is, by the way, in no way finished... it's just a start, but I'm loving the nice clean lines of the dressers... even if I am the only one that will walk into this room on a regular basis.  :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Yep, my secret stash of Thirty-One organizers is coming in handy now!  Hopefully this summer I can finish by installing some more shelves and painting the walls.

When I first bought the dressers and hauled them home, I started to worry that they were a big pain... and not going to work.  It cost me $40 for both.  I just sold a lot of the old baskets and such for over $100.  Hey... I made money on this deal!  Cool.

I love it when that happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment