Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dresser turned buffet....

 
First, I would like to say "thank you" to two wonderful friends, Davone and Somphane for graciously "donating" the dresser for this "project"

I had been wanting a piece of furniture to put in this awkwardly blank space in my family room....it was a perfect "cut-out"...and just seemed like something definitely belonged there.  So, when I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted a dresser I knew this was my chance!  Plus, who doesn't love FREE?  =)

So here is the before pictures of what the dresser looked like before I started anything...




After it sat in my garage for a few weeks {like everything else does}, the wheels started turning in my head for what I could do with this....I wanted to try my hand at "woodworking"....so here was my chance.  I.  had.  an.  idea. 

I took the drawers out, the hardware off, and gave her a good wipe down.  I don't normally prime any of my stuff...but in the past when I have, I just used Kilz or Zinnser {oil-based} primer...and I usually used a brush and paint it on....well, that just takes too long....so I got the SPRAY version and BAM....within 10 minutes I was DONE priming....and no brushstrokes or "thick spots"...

Here is the primed piece.....




After a day of letting the primer sit and "cure", I started the painting process.  I used a slightly off-white paint color...painted two thin coats....then a couple days later....took my trusty electric hand sander and gave her a good "smoothing".  I also wanted a slightly distressed look...so I took this opportunity to distress it as well....

Here is what the sanded/distressed piece looked like.....{well, part of it at least}.



Well, now here comes the FUN part.  Ever used a "Sawsall"???  Ohhhh boy, is it fun!  =)  That sucker cuts fast!!  Anyway...{can you tell I am easily excited?}...So I took my husbands "sawsall" and cut out the middle brackets that originally held up the 4 middle drawers....

Here's what I mean......



I have had this Martha Stewart "Metallic Glaze" {seen here}...that I got from Home Depot probably a year prior...had TOTALLY forgotten about it until I was searching through my "craft" cabinet for sand paper, actually.  So, I figured I would give it a try on this piece.  I actually added about 4 parts water to one part glaze...then painted it on....and then wiped it off...not rocket science here....

Here is what it looked like after a coat of glaze......{not the best picture}



Then, {and the hubby helped me with this part because I would have cut my fingers off for sure}....he measured some pieces of nice plywood and fit them into this "new" space to create a bottom {and back} to the area.

I spray-painted the brass handles "oil rubbed bronze" {my "go-to"}....put the handles back on, and voila!



Oh...and, {as I was cleaning out my craft cabinet looking for that sand paper I mentioned earlier...} I found some old glass knobs that I had gotten for some other project {that I clearly never used}....and replaced the top middle drawer knobs with them....  I think it gives it a little more "character"..

Either way...here is the final product!!!  Super easy and more importantly...FUN!  {I got these baskets with chalk boards on the front at my local HomeGoods...I LOVE them!}...and now they say "Taylor", "Stephen", and "Rocco" on them  =)
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment